JOB TITLE: Commercial Property Lawyer
DEPARTMENT: Commercial Property
REPORTS TO: Director & Head of Private Client
Chilcotts Law has a history dating back to the 1800’s. Over time, we have built up a reputation in Tavistock and surrounding areas of West Devon and Southeast Cornwall as an experienced and knowledgeable firm with a strong client base.
We pride ourselves on being a local firm with local knowledge, but with the breath and capacity to serve clients on a national basis. As families move around the UK they often seek to return to the practice as a known and trusted firm.
Not a firm to rest on its laurels, we have an exciting new venture. We are expanding our operations by opening an office in Bristol.
As you would expect for a firm the size of Chilcotts Law, we offer a wide range of services. For private individuals we provide services which help in times of change, such as moving home or making a will; or in periods of difficulty such as a bereavement. For our business clients we can help with commercial property transactions, dispute resolution and commercial contracts.
Our solicitors who have outstanding legal knowledge, practical experience and advice that is delivered in plain English along with first class client care, why would you go anywhere else?
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
This is an opportunity for an ambitious, enthusiastic, and motivated Solicitor/Legal Executive to work in our Commercial Property department.
The role requires undertaking fee earning work, working independently and as a member of the Chilcotts Law team maintaining relations with existing clients and to assist help develop new relationships and third-party referrers.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- To undertake fee earning work both independently and as a member of the Chilcotts Law team and provide a profitable contribution to the work of the department
- To deliver a consistent, excellent standard of legal services to our clients, where we aim to delight our clients, by exceeding their expectations
- Comply with Solicitors Regulation Authority’s standards of professional conduct, ethics and particularly, with the strict requirement of confidentiality of the clients’ affairs
- Ensuring compliance is adhered to in all activities including CSQ compliance
- To maintain existing relations with Chilcotts Law’s clients and assist and help develop new relationships with third party referrers
- Preparing Commercial Leases and Licenses
- Regeneration work and projects
- Dealing with sales of development sites
- Drafting Deeds of Easement, Wayleave Agreements, Deeds of Surrender and Rent Deposit Deeds
- Landlord and Tenant matters
- Working on behalf of local and national clients
- Lease renewals and sub-leases
- Advising on a wide range of commercial property matters including leasehold and freehold matters, lease enfranchisement and lease extensions
- Advising on commercial leases, lease renewals, lease terminations and overage agreements
- Manage own caseload of sales and purchases of commercial property, productivity, and quality of work with minimum supervision
- Willing to participate in the growth and development of the department and assist in the build-up of the client database and marketing the firm’s services
- Maintain in an orderly and up to date manner all files including electronically, and comply with the firm’s policies on file management
- Cross-referring work and clients within the firm
- Financial control of your own matters, particularly cash flow through collection of monies on account and billing procedures
- Recognising fee-earning opportunities and develop as appropriate
- Be accountable for your own development, seeking out opportunities to learn new skills and continuously improve
- Always work in a responsible and safe manner adhering to Health and Safety, safe working practices and firm policies and procedures
- Such other reasonable duties as and when required by your Line Manager
- The above list of duties is not exclusive or exhaustive and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks as may reasonably be expected within the scope of the role
As a member of the Chilcotts Law team you will possess the necessary academic qualification for the role. Have excellent negotiating and advocacy skills and the ability to follow good practice and procedure with reference to their specialist area of law. Essential qualities are good communicator with clients, professional colleagues and all persons working within the firm at all levels. Good administrative skills and the ability to follow departments and the firm’s administrative policies and procedures. It is expected that you will positively contribute to the firm’s continued expansion and be an active participant in all the firms’ meetings. It is anticipated that to be employed in this role you would be able to show that you possess the following: –
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL & EXPERIENCE
|Essential Criteria||Desirable Criteria|
|3/5 years PQE
Strong organisational skills with the ability to manage deadlines & competing priorities
Good hands-on commercial conveyancing experience in preparing Commercial Leases and Licenses, Deeds of Easement & Wayleave Agreements, Deeds of Surrender, Rent Deposit Deeds, Landlord & Tenant matters, Lease renewals and sub-Leases
Excellent client facing skills and the ability to nurture existing clients and third-party relationships as well as the ability to help develop new business and assist in networking events
The ability to prioritise work and work to strict timescales where required
Technical proficiency and good IT skills
Good academic background
Previous use of case management systems
Full clean driving licence as travel to see clients will be required
"*" indicates required fields