JOB TITLE: Residential Solicitor/Legal Executive (3/5 years PQE)
DEPARTMENT: Residential Conveyancing
REPORTS TO: Director- Conveyancing Office
Chilcotts Law has a history dating back to the 1800’s. Over time, we have built up a reputation in Tavistock and surrounding areas of West Devon and Southeast Cornwall as an experienced and knowledgeable firm with a strong client base.
We pride ourselves on being a local firm with local knowledge, but with the breath and capacity to serve clients on a national basis. As families move around the UK they often seek to return to the practice as a known and trusted firm.
Not a firm to rest on its laurels, we have an exciting new venture. We are expanding our operations by opening an office in Bristol.
As you would expect for a firm the size of Chilcotts Law, we offer a wide range of services. For private individuals we provide services which help in times of change, such as moving home or making a will; or in periods of difficulty such as a bereavement. For our business clients we can help with commercial property transactions, dispute resolution and commercial contracts.
Our solicitors who have outstanding legal knowledge, practical experience and advice that is delivered in plain English along with first class client care, why would you go anywhere else?
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
This is an exciting opportunity for an ambitious, enthusiastic, and motivated Solicitor/Legal Executive to work in our highly successful residential conveyancing department.
The role requires undertaking fee earning work, working independently and as a member of the Chilcotts Law team maintaining relations with existing clients and to assist help develop new relationships and third-party referrers.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- To deliver a consistent, excellent standard of legal services to our clients, where we aim to delight our clients, by exceeding their expectations
- Comply with Solicitors Regulation Authority’s standards of professional conduct, ethics and particularly, with the strict requirement of confidentiality of the clients’ affairs at all times
- To undertake fee earning work both independently and as a member of the Chilcotts Law team and provide a profitable contribution to the work of the department
- To maintain existing relations with Chilcotts Law’s clients and assist and help develop new relationships with third party referrers
- Conduct matters in the following areas on behalf of clients in a timely and cost-effective manner
- Experience in a busy high volume conveyancing environment, proficient and diligent
- Sales and purchases of land – both registered and unregistered and both freehold and leasehold
- Transfers of equity
- Help to Buy ISA’s
- Power of Attorney transactions
- Plot Sales
- Deeds of Gift
- Management of support services for which you are responsible including supervision of support staff
- Willing to participate in the growth and development of the department and assist in the build-up of the client database and marketing the firm’s services
- Maintain in an orderly and up to date manner all files including electronically, and comply with the firm’s policies on file management
- Cross-referring work and clients within the firm
- They will have recent case management experience and demonstrate a strong compliance ethic for internal procedures
- Ensuring compliance is adhered to in all activities including CQS compliance
- Financial control of your own matters, particularly cash flow through collection of monies on account and billing procedures
- Recognising fee-earning opportunities and develop as appropriate
- Be accountable for your own development, seeking out opportunities to learn new skills and continuously improve
- Always work in a responsible and safe manner adhering to Health and Safety, safe working practices and Chilcotts Law policies and procedures
- Such other reasonable duties as and when required by your Line Manager
- The above list of duties is not exclusive or exhaustive and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks as may reasonably be expected within the scope of the role
OUR VALUES AND BEHAVIOURS
It Really Is ‘All About You’
Chilcotts Law aims to set the standard for how a Law Firm should be. Our focus is on our clients, and it really is ‘all about you’. For us, that means making sure our clients are completely happy – whether that is with the service they receive, the advice they are given, or working around our clients to ensure. The same applies to our staff. Our highly experienced team really are a team. Many have decades or service behind them in legal services and working at Chilcotts Law.
We are committed to maintaining values here at Chilcotts Law which define us and what we stand for. We act as a guide in our day-to-day provision of services to each other and to our clients.
We aim to develop our distinct identity as a firm by building on the strengths, culture and characteristics that make us commercially successful, distinguish us in the marketplace and provide an enjoyable place for us to work in and for our clients to receive our services.
Our values and aspirations work together and complement each other.
Enjoy Work – This means will provide a secure and enjoyable working environment for our staff and our clients
Build Encouraging and Productive Relationships – This means that we will acknowledge each person we work with, whether internal staff or external clients. Their relationship is important to us and the services we provide for each other.
Be committed to excellence – This means we will deliver a service to each other and to our clients that exceeds expectations.
As a member of the Conveyancing team you will possess the necessary academic qualification for the role. Have excellent negotiating and advocacy skills and the ability to follow good practice and procedure with reference to their specialist area of law. Essential qualities are good communicator with clients, professional colleagues and all persons working within the firm at all levels. Good administrative skills and the ability to follow departments and the firm’s administrative policies and procedures. It is expected that you will positively contribute to your own departments and the firm’s continued expansion and be an active participant in all departmental meetings. It is anticipated that to be employed in this role you would be able to show that you possess the following knowledge, skills & experience: –
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL & EXPERIENCE
|Essential Criteria||Desirable Criteria|
|3/5 years PQE
Strong organisational skills with the ability to manage deadlines & competing priorities
Good hands-on residential conveyancing experience in sales and purchases of land – both registered and unregistered and both freehold and leasehold, re-mortgages Transfers of equity, Help to Buy ISA’s, Power of Attorney transactions, Easements, Plot Sales, Deeds of Gift
Excellent client facing communication skills and the ability to nurture existing clients and third-party relationships.
The ability to help develop new business and assist in networking events
The ability to prioritise work and work to strict timescales where required
Technical proficiency and good IT skills
Good academic background
A professional approach to work, integrity, and a respect for confidentiality
Previous use of case management systems
Full clean driving licence as travel to see clients will be required
"*" indicates required fields