Private Client Solicitor
JOB TITLE: Private Client Solicitor/Legal Executive (3/5 years PQE)
DEPARTMENT: Private Client
REPORTS TO: Director and Head of Private Client
Chilcotts Law has a history dating back to the 1800’s. Over time, we have built up a reputation in Tavistock and surrounding areas of West Devon and Southeast Cornwall as an experienced and knowledgeable firm with a strong client base.
We pride ourselves on being a local firm with local knowledge, but with the breath and capacity to serve clients on a national basis. As families move around the UK they often seek to return to the practice as a known and trusted firm.
Not a firm to rest on its laurels, we have an exciting new venture. We are expanding our operations by opening an office in Bristol.
As you would expect for a firm the size of Chilcotts Law, we offer a wide range of services. For private individuals we provide services which help in times of change, such as moving home or making a will; or in periods of difficulty such as a bereavement. For our business clients we can help with commercial property transactions, dispute resolution and commercial contracts.
Our solicitors who have outstanding legal knowledge, practical experience and advice that is delivered in plain English along with first class client care, why would you go anywhere else?
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
This is an exciting opportunity for an ambitious, enthusiastic, and motivated person to share in the ongoing success and expansion of a long established and successful private client practice.
The role requires undertaking fee earning work, working independently and as a member of the Chilcotts Law team maintaining relations with existing clients and to assist help develop new relationships and third-party referrers.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- To deliver a consistent, excellent standard of legal services to our clients, where we aim to delight our clients, by exceeding their expectations
- Comply with Solicitors Regulation Authority’s standards of professional conduct, ethics and in particular, with the strict requirement of confidentiality of the clients’ affairs at all times
- To undertake fee earning work both independently and as a member of the Chilcotts Law team and provide a profitable contribution to the work of the department
- To maintain existing relations with Chilcotts Law’s clients and assist and help develop new relationships with third party referrers. Promoting the firms’ high standards and reputation
- Conduct of private client and related matters on behalf of clients
- Drafting Wills, Trusts, Lasting Powers of Attorney and dealing with Trust and Estate Administration
- Be pro-active in the growth and development of the department and assist in the build-up of the client database and marketing the firm’s services
- Use fully and record all chargeable and non-chargeable on the Firm’s time recording system and other management records as required by the firm
- Cross-referring work and clients within the firm
- Ensuring compliance is adhered to in all activities
- Financial control of your own matters, particularly cash flow through collection of monies on account and billing procedures
- Maintain in an orderly and up to date manner all files including electronically, and comply with the firm’s policies on file management
- Recognising fee-earning opportunities and develop as appropriate
- Be accountable for your own development, seeking out opportunities to learn new skills and continuously improve
- Always work in a responsible and safe manner adhering to Health and Safety, safe working practices and Chilcotts Law policies and procedures
- Such other reasonable duties as and when required by your Line Manager
- The above list of duties is not exclusive or exhaustive and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks as may reasonably be expected within the scope of the role
OUR VALUES AND BEHAVIOURS
It Really Is ‘All About You’
Chilcotts Law aims to set the standard for how a Law Firm should be. Our focus is on our clients, and it really is ‘all about you’. For us, that means making sure our clients are completely happy – whether that is with the service they receive, the advice they are given, or working around our clients to ensure. The same applies to our staff. Our highly experienced team really are a team. Many have decades or service behind them in legal services and working at Chilcotts Law.
We are committed to maintaining values here at Chilcotts Law which define us and what we stand for. We act as a guide in our day-to-day provision of services to each other and to our clients. Our values and aspirations work together and complement each other.
We aim to develop our distinct identity as a firm by building on the strengths, culture and characteristics that make us commercially successful, distinguish us in the marketplace and provide an enjoyable place for us to work in and for our clients to receive our services.
Enjoy Work – This means will provide a secure and enjoyable working environment for our staff and our clients
Build Encouraging and Productive Relationships – This means that we will acknowledge each person we work with, whether internal staff or external clients. Their relationship is important to us and the services we provide for each other.
Be committed to excellence – This means we will deliver a service to each other and to our clients that exceeds expectations.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL & EXPERIENCE
|Essential Criteria||Desirable Criteria|
|3/5 years PQE
Strong organisational skills with the ability to manage deadlines & competing priorities
Good hands-on private client experience in Wills, Trusts, Lasting Power of Attorney and Trust and Estate Administration
Excellent client facing skills and the ability to nurture existing clients and third-party relationships as well as the ability to help develop new business and assist in networking events
The ability to prioritise work and work to strict timescales where required
Technical proficiency and good IT skills
Good academic background
Previous use of case management systems
Full clean driving licence as travel to see clients will be required
"*" indicates required fields